Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Thursday 3 June 2010

Ludicrous

Adjective - absurd, ridiculous.
Origin - From the Latin Ludicrus, probably from ludicrum: 'stage play'
"I am being eaten by a giant chicken. How ludicrous."

This is a three in one word: Ludicrous is great and the two words in its definition are also highly amusing. However I had a thought for an alternative definition: Adjective - Beyond weird. I think my amusement stems from my appreciation of the ludicrous, absurd and ridiculous I laugh when things are strangest: "Why aren't you laughing? He's having a conversation with a coconut! They are discussing Sartre and existentialism. It's a coconut! Obviously the ludicrous centre of your brain is malfunctioning."

No comments:

Post a Comment