Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Monday 7 June 2010

Surrealism

Noun: an avant-garde 20th-century movement in art and literature which sought to release the creative potential of the unconscious mind, for example by the irrational juxtaposition of images."Have you seen my spoon? I think I left it at the bus-stop."

Surrealism is great, as great as a small chicken holding a big spoon at the bus-stop on Wednesday at a quarter past three, if you see what I mean. You don't? Well, that's the point isn't it? I like the concept of surrealism as much as I like the word. The root of the word, 'over and beyond realism' is a fascinating idea. After all, how do we know what is real? What we can sense in the world around is only an interpretation by our brains. For example, we are actually all upside-down: our brains interpret what we our eyes see and put us the right way up. Whose to say dreams aren't real. And where is the creativity (read 'fun') in realism?

Also, 'the irrational juxtaposition of images' is an awesome phrase.

P.S. Aaah, a talking chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment