Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Friday 21 May 2010

Vociferous

Adjective - vehement or clamorous.
Origin - from the Latin vociferari: 'exclaim'.
He hoped his vociferousness would draw attention away from the fact that he was prancing around, dressed entirely in yellow.

BEING VOCIFEROUS IS LIKE WRITING EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. IT'S A GREAT WORD BUT I ACTUALLY FIND VOCIFEROUS PEOPLE DECIDEDLY IRRITATING. THESE PEOPLE GENERALLY USE THEIR VOCIFEROUSNESS JUST TO ATTRACT ATTENTION AND ALSO TO DISGUISE THEIR LACK OF INTELLIGENT COMMENT. I MAKE A DELIBERATE POINT OF IGNORING ANY CONTENT WRITTEN IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
Ahem, sorry about that, I was seeing whether the whole 'write everything in capitals so people read it' thing worked. Did it? Are you still here?
Anyway, this word sounds great and the definition is made up of two excellent words, one of which features in this very blog (see vehemence). Use it instead of the plain and boring 'loud' or 'noisy'.

No comments:

Post a Comment