Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Friday 12 March 2010

Vehemence

Noun from the adjective vehement - showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate or intense.
From the Latin - impetuous, violent.

Infuriated at having been called 'a bit too sweet', the lemon meringue pie struck back with extreme vehemence.

I like this word, despite its negative connotations, and I think this is because it does its job very well. It is difficult to find anything amusing to write about vehemence but then again, it wouldn't be so inherently vehement if I could ridicule it with ease (anyway, I have titmouse for that). It is a word you have to be careful with: never mess with a word with four 'e's, especially one with a spiky 'v' at the front. By all means use it, it is a great and under-used word. But if you do decide to take it on, beware, it has a tendency to hold a grudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment