Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Tuesday 19 January 2010

Ensconce

Verb - establish in a comfortable, safe, or secret place.
Origin: originally in the senses fortify and shelter with a fortification: from archaic sconce, denoting a small fort or earthwork, from High German schanze ‘brushwood’.


Having chuckled at ensconcing himself in the washing basket, the ginger kid didn't see the funny side of being emptied into the washing machine...

A fun word with a pleasant meaning: the idea of 'ensconcing' yourself somewhere, whether it be in bed or on the sofa, especially on a rainy day, has definite appeal to almost everyone. And the feeling is further enhanced if you actually build a small fort (probably not an earthwork, though) in said places. It is also the first word I have come across that is derived from High German, no less. I didn't even know there was a High German, though it is fairly close to Holland so I suppose there must be some around the place.
A more circumstantial advantage is that it contains the sound 'scone' which is a tasty British tea-time cake, best served with clotted cream and jam, and which is also the fastest cake around. Scone, geddit? It was here and now scone. Brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment