Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Dissimulate

Verb - To hide or disguise one's thoughts or feelings. From the Latin dissimulare - to conceal.

The monkey's attempt at dissimulating his amusement was really quite pathetic.

Some might say that this word is worthy of mention and I am possibly inclined to agree, if I really must. Its sibilant sound, especially in the noun form 'dissimulation', could be the reason why some find it enjoyable to say but surely it can't be that good. I mean, it's just a word, isn't it. Why should I care?
Or am I just dissimulating my enjoyment?
Well, yes, and it was actually quite hard to do. This word is great in both sound and meaning and calls to mind the image of someone who, having just knowingly told a obvious lie, is rolling their eyes back and forth and possibly whistling nonchalantly (good word).

No comments:

Post a Comment