Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Monday 25 January 2010

Ubiquitous

Adjective - present, appearing, found everywhere.

From the Latin ubique - everywhere.
The ubiquitous chicken

Ah, the ubiquitous ubiquitous: a great word with a surprisingly simple meaning. It has some great derivatives too: ubiquitously, ubiquitousness and ubiquity. However,it is one of those words which begins to look wrongly spelt if you keep writing it, like I have here. It is used a fair amount in modern English but I feel that we should use it even more to make it like a self-fulfilling prophesy (good word) and therefore truly ubiquitous.

No comments:

Post a Comment