Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Monday 20 September 2010

Mellifluous

Adjective: (of sound) pleasingly smooth and musical to hear.
Origin: from the Latin mellifluus, from mel - honey and fluere - to flow.
Too literal? Probably.

Is this word onomatopoeic? It isn't like crash, bang or sizzle but I do find it pleasingly smooth and musical to hear. Answers on the back of postcard (or on the back of a blank cheque, even better).
All questions of onomatopoeia aside, it is a really good word that could be made even better if it could be applied to all things and not just sound. Who would turn down a mellifluous sauce over a good steak, for example? I'm sure sports commentators, if they weren't so busy reading out statistics and adverts, would jump at the chance to say they are seeing some mellifluous passing of the ball. And surely it can't be a bad thing for a girl to be mellifluous?
I guess it is subjective, though: I think Iron Maiden and Deftones are mellifluous whereas pop music grates on me like extra rough gravel which has been coated in acid then set on fire. Ok, maybe I am exaggerating slightly but you shouldn't listen to that stuff. Listen to some mellifluous metal instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment