Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Monday 26 July 2010

Mendacious

Adjective - not telling the truth, lying.
Origin - from the Latin mendax, mendac: lying.

Mendacious, lying or just lions?

This word is rubbish. Sounds bad. Stupid meaning.
See what I did there? I was being mendacious. Mwah ha ha ha, how naughty of me.
Actually, it is a really good word and one that can and should be used more often. Not at all hard to say, perhaps a little tricky to spell but it's no Mississippi or Mediterranean. I think it works particularly well in the phrase: "Tell the truth, you mendacious child!" Now all I need is to find a child to shout it at. Could be difficult here is Spain.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've found a new favorite word, will test it out on unwilling subjects on the morrow

    ReplyDelete