Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Thursday 15 July 2010

Keelhaul

Verb - punish someone by dragging them through the water under the keel of a ship, either across the width or from bow to stern.

Origin - From the Dutch kielhalen.
"Arrrr, walk the plank before I keelhaul you, you scurvy, landlubber's dog. I've got t' get back to me bottle of rum and me pieces of eight in the dead man's chest." Every time he opened his mouth, peg-leg, hook-hand, one eye Captain Pete the pirate would try, and fail, to not embody the much-ridiculed pirate stereotype.


This word makes the list because it is impossible to pronounce without adopting a typical pirate accent. Cue many an "Arrrr" and "Ya filthy landlubber!" from myself and hopefully many readers. I like the way the definition specifies that it can be done lengthways or widthways, just in case there could be some sort of confusion.
Unfortunately, the meaning isn't very pleasant but then again, neither were real pirates, despite what Disney would have you believe. Yet more unfortunate is how difficult it is to work the word into a conversation, unlike some others in this blog. Unless of course you have recently keelhauled someone (hopefully not, I'm pretty sure it's illegal) or are at a fancy dress party, dressed as a pirate (it doesn't work at a James Bond party, I've tried). Perhaps it's a word to unleash when no-one is around. Everyone has an inner pirate so try releasing yours by saying this word as often as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Made me think of some new definitions I heard recently on the theme of (aaaaarh!) pirates:
    Bazaar - Barry the Pirate
    Radar - Pirate command for "Rape and Pilage!"
    Guitar - unpopular pirate
    and so on...
    Sure you can come up with some of your own
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, Dan! Must use my shake-arrr to mix you up some grog (or any other rum-based drink) one day...

    ReplyDelete