Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Discombobulate

Verb - to disconcert or confuse someone.
Origin - mid 19th century, probably based on discompose or discomfit.
Discombobulated Bob wondered where he put his giant, yellow question mark.

It had to turn up eventually. Although it is a popular word and most people have heard of it, perhaps, if they are anything like me (and I am a person too), they might not know what it means. Before I looked it up, I had thought it was something to do with the removal of heads or limbs or perhaps even slow disintegration (good word). It's in the word's nature to mislead and confuse though so I guess it's good that few know the true meaning. Otherwise it wouldn't be half as much fun.
It is an enjoyable word to say though and this undoubtedly explains its popularity. I think it is because of the bob in the middle. A bob in the middle always raises a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment