Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Thursday 13 May 2010

Hypercube

In geometry a hypercube is an n-dimensional analogue of a square (n=2) and a cube (n=3). It is a closed, compact, convex figure whose 1-skeleton consists of opposite parallel line segments, aligned in each of the space's dimensions, perpendicular to each other and of the same length.
The hypercube. It has four dimensions, how can you not like it?
Right...
No, I don't really understand it either. But it is a good word. In fact, virtually any word which contains the word 'hyper' gets a thumbs-up from me: Hyperspace, hyperactive, hyperbole and hypermarkets, which are possibly the best type of markets. I also like geometrical shapes and if they are n-dimensional (apparently there are a lot more than three) than all the better.
The Wikipedia page from which the explanation comes from is full of good words associated with hypercubes: polytopes, hyperplanes, tesseracts and parallelepipeds. All completely mystifying for those of us who have always had problems with long division but great for those who appreciate a good word.
tesseract
This is a 3D projection of a hypercube performing a simple rotation (but you probably already knew that). Looking at this image for too long produces either one of two things: complete understanding of space, time and the universe or, like me, deep-seated confusion and eventual brain-meltdown. Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment