Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Gawk

Verb: to stare openly and stupidly.
Noun: an awkward or shy person.
Origin: perhaps from the obsolete gaw - to gaze, from the old norse - heed.
Star Trek: inventor of the extreme space gawk.

This is perhaps the first word on this blog which made me chuckle upon checking the definition. I find the idea of someone standing and 'staring openly and stupidly really quite amusing. Try imagining your friends, or yourself for that matter, gawking as described and I defy you not to at least smile. Don't you want to just walk up to this imaginary person and close their gaping jaw with a satisfying clunk?
I also like the fact that gawking is virtually uncontrollable: the fact that something can make you stop and stare stupidly is an hilarious exmaple of how we are susceptable (good word) to our instincts and emotions. I, however, am actually training myself to gawk at will.

No comments:

Post a Comment