Welcome

My name is David Burrows and I am a freelance translator of Spanish into English. This blog contains some of my favourite words, a (mostly) amusing explanation of said words as well as some of my musings about translation. I hope you enjoy it.

Wednesday 20 October 2010

Gibbous

Adjective: 1) (of the moon) having the illuminated part greater than a semicircle and less than a circle. 2) Convex or protuberant.
Origin: From the late Latin gibbosus, from the Latin gibbus - hump.
"They says we have gibbous eyes, do they, precious? We shows them gibbous, yes, we shows them, those malodorous hobbitses." Although his vocabulary is flawless, Gollum's grammar fell short. As usual.

I just learnt this word the other day and if there was ever a word that will appear in a pub or trivia quiz, it is this one. When the moon is neither a crescent, half or full moon (everyone knows about them) then it is gibbous. Brilliant, I have just found my favourite phase. The other use applies to Gollum's eyes. They are gibbous and from now on no other word will do to describe them.
It sounds great as well. Furthermore, if you turn over the U then you get gibbons, which are also great.

No comments:

Post a Comment